Waynos work truck.

wayno

Re: Waynos work truck.

Post by wayno » Fri May 03, 2019 11:44 am

Yesterday/last night I had a thought, it was tighten the manifold bolts, I should have tried that, as when I was removing the intake manifold I found a bolt missing where the leak was, I probably should have just found a bolt and put it back together but I went the rest of the way and put a new gasket in.
While it was apart I removed these from the exhaust manifold.
And I put normal plugs in all the emissions holes.

It's all back together now and I tried to balance the SU carbs, I did the best I could, there is something wrong with the front carb, it is sticky and won't idle down all the way, I need to rebuild my old carbs.
I won't know much until I drive this truck Monday to my next job, I hope it doesn't leak anymore.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri May 03, 2019 11:51 am

By the way, the shroud don't fit the aluminum radiator all that well, it is now permanently bent a little, I put some thick washers and a zip tie in it to try and pull the shroud against the radiator.

Engine compartment after put back together.

“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun May 05, 2019 1:20 pm

I went to the P&P and found a power steering pump in a 1987 D21 Hardbody, I then found a VW Passat with a turbo that i wanted parts off of, you would have laughed your asses off if there was a video of me removing them parts, others were trying to help me but none if us had tools, a few stopped and watched me in action, I got the parts but it took a while as I had to hunt for stuff to use to do what I needed to do to get what I wanted, a tire iron was the best tool I found, I could not remove a bracket so I had to bent it out of the way, with vice grips holding the turbo on the frame O used the tire iron in the exhaust in-feed hole to bend the bracket so I could get to the allen head bolt with vice grips to move it a 1/16 of an inch, I had to do 4 of them that way.
I paid $63.something for this in the photo below, shit is expensive now days, the PS pump was $38.00 with core charge.

The PS pump is for this work truck, all the rest of it is turbo shit I need for my friend when we do his turbo conversion.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon May 06, 2019 11:28 am

Well the engine runs better right now than it has in a long time, it used to backfire sometimes when letting out the clutch at a light trying to get going, it also sounds different, it is timed at 5 degrees BTDC.
It also is not leaking coolant anymore, I am starting to think that maybe that bolt that was missing was causing a vacuum leak between the head and manifold also.
Funny thing, that power steering pump is not making as much noise now since I bought a replacement.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon May 06, 2019 4:44 pm

OK, so after my last post I decided to mock up the new to me power steering pump, the other one had so many back yard brackets put on it to mount it that I wanted something better, this is what I came up with, an early alternator mount from an L block, one bracket/plate on the back side, a modified alt. adjuster off of something and some shims with a long bolt on the bottom, I think it was worth the time to make, I believe this is way better than what is on the truck now.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue May 07, 2019 1:26 pm

My truck seems to go thru a lot of the oil senders for the light and gauge, I am on my 3rd one in a couple years now, they appear to just start leaking but only the first of the 3 leaked where oil hit the ground, the last two seem to leak a fine spray that I cannot see so I have trouble figuring out where it is leaking, I will admit I am putting used ones on as I had a few, but now I am out of them, and I am very careful when I install them, I use a wrench to turn them, I am not grabbing them with my hand and turning except to start them.
I sprayed the whole side of the engine with degreaser and then blew it off with air, got nailed once by #4 spark plug wire as it was running, the spark plug wires didn't clean up like I wanted, but it is dry now so I will be able to see new leaks or at least know it is leaking even if I cannot tell where.

At the moment the pedal is not sticking/sticky, but my idle is up there just over a 1000rpm, but I would rather have that than a sticky pedal.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue May 07, 2019 3:00 pm

Before I zoomed in on that 1st photo all I could think was, "Why the hell did Wayno stick a CV axle in the side of his block?"
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue May 07, 2019 6:08 pm

:lol:^^^^

Well I didn't like how many separate parts held that power steering pump on so I made another bracket to hold it in that was way more simpler, a washer and a sleeve in the middle, it's way easier to make something when it is in the position you want it in already, I was off by a washer thickness.

This bracket was made to fit while the other I used sleeves and such to position the PS pump, this is another reason I changed my mind and made this bracket, after it was done I realized it is slightly higher, I hope this doesn't create an issue, the black drain connection pointed up will be replaced by one that points back towards the firewall unless it will work the way it is.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu May 09, 2019 8:10 pm

This truck has been noisy for so long that now that it is quiet I can hear all sorts of other noises now.
A couple days ago I checked the transmission fluid level, it was down a half a quart, it's kinda a bitch to put fluid in the transmission fill hole especially with the exhaust where it is, I need to think of a better way, I used to use a fluid pump and my drill to power it, but it only works a couple times with this gear lube and I got tired of buying new ones(bought 3 over the years), recently I have been using a clear hose(1/2") piped up near the firewall in the engine compartment and letting gravity take the fluid down into the transmission, but it takes so long, so I tried a small clear hose(1/8") and it took even longer to get that half quart in it, need a better way.
It is so tight in that area I cannot even get a photo of the fill hole, I did find a spot in the engine compartment where I could see the hole as I filled it, but it took so long I decided to use a bigger hose but by the time I had the hose out there it had started over flowing from being full, It likely took a half hour.
Maybe a larger metal tube like an automatic transmission dip stick, but it will be hard to tell when it is full.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Thu May 09, 2019 8:47 pm

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu May 09, 2019 11:20 pm

Thankyou Jacob

I never really gave it much thought before, I might stop by HF tomorrow if I can remember to remember. :lol:
I never look forward to doing that, but it is better than it going dry and screwing the transmission up, remember it has a leak and drips, I might tear it back out next winter, clean it up and seal the case this time, this is the first transmission that ever leaked on me.
This engine sure does run good now, I am happy that I modified the distributor now, I still cannot figure out how it could have been 180 degrees out, I should not have had to change the wires on the distributor cap, I thought all matchbox distributors were made the same, the drive is offset and the rotor is pointed in the same direction, at least that is what I thought.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri May 10, 2019 9:08 pm

I keep finding oil spots on the ground, this time it was the fuel pump delete plate that was leaking, hope it is fixed.
I just want to open the hood and look at the passenger side of the block and not see oil on everything after I drive it somewhere, I guess it is a pipe dream. :lol:

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat May 25, 2019 12:39 pm

I went to Harbor Freight today and found that suction devise and bought it, thanks Jacob.
I also was walking around and seen two of their earthquake 1/2" drive impact guns for sale, both with the extended shaft, one was an $80.00 type rated 800 and something pounds for $57.98, the other was the $120.00 type was rated 950 pounds(whatever that means) for $57.00 even(less then half price), I bought it and just now tested it and it works great right now, it might become my favorite as I kinda like the extended shaft.

As I mentioned I tested the impact, my pass side front tire on the 720 has a very slow leak, I took the wheel off the truck and submerged it in water and found the leak, it might have 2 or 3 very tiny bubbles every second, I looked at the spot and have no interest in making that tiny hole way bigger to put a plug in it, I have not patched an automobile tire on the inside in several decades(since I was a kid) if I have ever patched one at all, I have patched bicycle tubes and swimming pools with the air filled ring around the top, I really don't want to pay anyone to patch it for me like Les Schwab, so I put it back on the truck and will think about it for a while, I will likely remove the tire and try patching it, it's almost a new tire, I suspect it has less than a 1000 miles on it.
I have the little indention/hole circled in the photo below.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Sat May 25, 2019 12:51 pm

The new Harbor Freight Tools are getting way better. They are sourcing them from the same suppliers that everyone else uses. My stub impact that is from Home Depot is nearly identical to the stub one from Harbor Freight, which is nearly identical looking to a MAC tools one.

I have an Electric 18v impact rated at like 475, and my air one at 500. Its always interesting to see which one works better. Basically the electric hits way faster, but the air hits "harder"

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat May 25, 2019 1:19 pm

I have a Dewalt electric impact that I hardly ever use, it's alright but the big impacts(both HF earthquake type) I have are way better, I also have a regular Husky(500?) but hardly ever use it, it seems kinda gutless.
I should put that Dewalt in my 521 kingcab as that one is the one I take trips in, it would make changing a flat tire way faster/easier.
I agree that some of the Harbor Freight tools are great, them 1/2" drive impacts I have are, but I have not bought a good new 3/8ths drive air ratchet from anybody that lasted longer than a couple years, my 1/4" drive Ingersoll Rand that I use all the time with a 3/8" adapter is way better than any 3/8" drive I have, there are 3 of them out there(different brands) that don't turn worth a shit anymore, and I have tossed a few of them over the years, I have found used ones that have lasted longer.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat May 25, 2019 1:28 pm

Oil. Lots of oil makes them last.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat May 25, 2019 2:14 pm

I put 2 or 3, or maybe more drips of the proper oil in all my air tools before every use and have since I bought an air compressor, this bottle(see photo) has had a lot of drips of oil in it but it is almost empty now.

I have used this stuff on all my air tools, sometimes early on I would fill the end of the tool fitting till it would hold no more then pull the trigger so it would flow into the tool before I connected the air hose, sometimes the air coming out of the tool would soak my hand with oil, it still didn't help them 3/8 drive ratchet wrenches, they just quit turning altogether or they get loose and only turn some of the time, I do not have trouble with any of my other tools, at lest tools that were not lent out.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat May 25, 2019 2:18 pm

Got it covered then. I've got the baby brother of that same bottle.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat May 25, 2019 2:22 pm

I need another bottle though, I cannot remember where I bought that one as it was a long time ago, but I also have not been looking.
Where did you buy the baby brother?

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat May 25, 2019 2:39 pm

Tool truck. I've had the little bottle for 20 years and just topped it off from the big bottles at whatever shop I was working at.