No more Canby :(

wayno

No more Canby :(

Post by wayno » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:25 pm

It's kinda sad, I do not believe that any attempt was made to pass this on to someone else.

http://datsunsnw.org/

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCMENT:

Hello to all our past and present Datsuns Northwest members and Datsun community in general.

For the past 13 years Datsuns Northwest and crew have enjoyed a great time putting on many Datsun events like BBQ's, cruises, parties and of course, Canby, our 3 day campout car show.

Canby has been a unique car experience to the Northwest Datsun community, with many great friends and memories made throughout the years.
That being said, it is with great displeasure that we have to announce, Datsuns Northwest has closed it's doors. We are packing it in. Canby will be no more.

Dave and Julie did a great job running the show for the first ten years, then Steven took the reins for the last three years and had great success bringing Datsun racing icons, John Morton and Peter Brock to our show. These last three years were some of the best yet. Thanks to Steven's leadership, we can be proud to say, Datsuns Northwest, and the Canby show is leaving on a very high note.

Datsuns Northwest will be donating all of our leftover funds, shirts, sweat shirts and any other supplies to the people of Paradise, California to help them after their tragic 2018 wildfires.

Thank you to all the Datsuns Northwest members and volunteers that helped keep us going for 13 years. Thank you to all the hard core Datsun owners, from all over the world, for supporting us and the Canby show all these years!

Make sure to check our website occasionally, as we will be continuing to do cruises and get togethers in this coming year.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Re: No more Canby :(

Post by Laecaon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Just saw this. It sucks. I do think Steve tried, just not publicly.

The fairgrounds raised their price a lot, and apparently there was a lot in back fees from when Dave was running it.

510freak
Global Moderator
Title: DJ Jazzy Lou
Cars: Boo no 510 lol

Post by 510freak » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:21 pm

Oh this sucks
Taterhead » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:35 am wrote:[quote="Taterhead » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:41 pm

Sorry, I was channeling my inner flatcat.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:38 am

:|
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

HRH
Cars: Lots

Post by HRH » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Bummer! Well, I suppose one of us will have to start an annual event then? Maybe Spokane has a spot in it's future.
"Self proclaimed most active poster on NWD." - Me

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:00 pm

It's sad to see it come to an end, it was one of the things I looked forward to every year, we had three big events every year, the first was the half day Hazel Dell shop event held in May that in good weather drew around a 100 Datsuns, the shop closed and the event ended with closure, then there was Canby which over the 2 official days drew somewhere around 100/200 Datsuns/folks as some only came Sunday for the official show with awards, now all that is left is the half day Blue Lake show which generally draws 100+ Datsuns, yes there are other shows like the Silver Falls show that started a few years ago, I do not know much about that show, but Loren said he was going to announce that show shortly for sometime in June and I believe there will be camping.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

jtinluvr
Cars: 66' SPL311
72' 521
72' B110

Post by jtinluvr » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:28 pm

It’s never good news when a good Datsun ( or classic import in general) ceases to exist. In my own opinion, Canby was probably not helped by the general “cheapness” of the *Ratsun* crowd. It does cost money to put on a show like this and the only way for the organizers to cover this is by admissions, whether by participants or walk ins. Just an educated guess, but I would say in general the clientele would/could not pay what it takes to put on this event. I was only able to make the show a couple times and enjoyed the show, even taking an award one year. This was during the Bothwell years and me and my wife also volunteered at the show when we where there. Well, there is always the Shasta meet. They have been open to including cars other than Roadsters over the last few years with the new organizers so that may be an option. Only problem is it’s usually hot as hell when they have the show!

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:36 pm

Blue Lake will probably be a little better now. Lots of guys choose one or the other.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

HRH
Cars: Lots

Post by HRH » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:41 am

I agree, the cheapness does come into play. I'm totally willing to spend $100 for a weekend of Datsun fun. Then you have to figure another 100 or more for things you want to buy while there. And the first few Canbys with the ratsun crew were great, in '09, but I remember having to tell people to shut up at 3 am. Guess I got old. ;)

I'd like to see an event semi closer to home, but I don't know. It takes a lot to run something like that. Most people don't realize the thankless man (or woman) hours that go into an event like that.
"Self proclaimed most active poster on NWD." - Me

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:34 am

Sooo, another guy has decided to try to replace this show on the same dates in Brooks OR about 10 miles south of Woodburn OR, here is the first post in the thread on Ratsun.

Here’s the short. I’ll pick this event up.

dates: June 8-9 at https://g.co/kgs/gBsGmi

cost is $8.00 for 1 day or $16.00 for both days entrance fee. $10 tent camping $20 rv spot (20 amp power and water).

Cost to enter a vehicle into the show: FREE

Cost for a swapmeet spot: FREE

What you get for your $8/16, 1 full day or 2 full days of access to the show and also if you’d like to walk around the venue there are also 14 various museums on the grounds that you’ll have access to. These Musuems typically ask for a small donation and that’s voluntary.

Anyone who would like to come a little early (Friday) are welcome to pitch a tent On my property just up the road from the event location. We’ll be doing outdoor movies, bbq, camping. If people need to do any basic repairs or adjustments I have a 4000ft facility on the property for that also. I can host up to about 20 cars.

I’d like to get with any local or non local club for club pick trophies.

Ill be making a several trophies also to include.

farthest traveled under its own power, best of show, best daily driver, &“the mouse trap”, which is the most how did this car/truck even make it here?? Award.

More trophy classes may open up as we get closer to the date.

Who’s interested?!

flatcat19
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Post by flatcat19 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:21 pm

Someone sent me the ratsun link to this Brooks show. Sounds great that someone is trying to keep the spirit alive.

GL on whomever about this whole process.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:49 pm

The event is not really as important as all the people that gather at the event, that is what it is really about.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun May 19, 2019 9:31 am

This Brooks Or event is about 3 weeks away now, I plan on going with everything needed to camp, if the weather sucks I may just drive home Saturday night and come back Sunday if the weather is better.
I plan on bring some stuff to sell, not like the last Canby by any stretch of the imagination but a few things.

jtinluvr
Cars: 66' SPL311
72' 521
72' B110

Post by jtinluvr » Sun May 19, 2019 10:20 am

I plan to be there at least on Saturday, maybe Sunday. Probably bring my turbo Roadster Saturday and if I decide to go Sunday I’ll bring my KA 521.

flatcat19

Post by flatcat19 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:09 pm

Wish I was closer.

flatcat19

Post by flatcat19 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:09 pm

Wish I was closer.

Taterhead
Cars: '71 510 - Mine
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Thu May 23, 2019 11:32 am

Me too

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:24 am

Well this show/meet is tomorrow, the weather sucks today as it is raining(kinda hard where I live) but it is supposed to improve for Saturday, and it is supposed to be in the 80s Sunday.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:26 am

Have fun. Let us know how it goes.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:47 pm

I didn't take one photo, I was to busy visiting and talking with people.
I sold about $600.00 worth of stuff and bought about $60.00 worth of stuff, tailgate chains(15), working/tested L block starter(15), and all the mechanical guts to 521 doors(30) that appeared to be freshly plated.

It appears I ruined the screen on my camera, I cannot see what I am taking/took a photo of anymore, but the camera still takes photos as you can see above, it was in my pocket all day Saturday, too bad, I will use it when I can.

Saturday I was told there were slightly over 60 Datsuns, today I was told it was closer to 70 Datsuns, there was lots of places to park in the sun or shade, several vendors/people selling parts and there was more room for everybody, it was great, I did notice the people left the show a little earlier on both days, as normal I was one of the last few to leave, traffic was terrible on the way home today on I5 north.