My messages issue

Post Site suggestions and Feedback here.
wayno

My messages issue

Post by wayno » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:13 pm

Is there something I need to turn on or something I need to do that will tell me I have messages, it always says I have 0 messages even though I have messages, this last time I had 2 messages that I did not even know were there and had been for a week, and they showed up as unread when I went there(the message window/page) to actually send a message to someone.
It used to tell me I had messages, it did send a couple emails this time to me that told me I had a message, but when I logged on, it said I had 0 messages again.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, it just didn't seem like it should go in the suggestion area.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Re: My messages issue

Post by Laecaon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:29 pm

Everything like this should go in the suggestion area. I should probably rename it to "Suggestions/Site Feedback"

As far as the messages go, I havent received one in a long time. I havent seen it now work... I do believe if you happen to click on it, it cancels the counter though... Ill try to see if I can find anything...

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:14 pm

OK, can you move it to the suggestion area?
It just did not seem like a suggestion to me, it seems like question that I was looking for an answer.
I likely would have put it in that area if it had a header title like you mentioned, "suggestions/site feedback"
Thankyou for looking into this issue, I didn't know I had 2 messages since the 11th, they likely thought I was blowing them off, but they both returned my message to them right away when I messaged them apologizing for the delayed response.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

izzo
Site Admin
Title: Save a pimp, Rent a bitch.
Cars: Too many

Post by izzo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:13 am

I know if you happen to click on the message area... It resets the counter to 0 even if there are some in there.

Maybe there is a message mod we can look into to set it up differently. I haven't messed around with my message settings really. IDK what options are available.
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
jayden71: titty ponk
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:16 pm

I know that I have a message right now, as I was notified via email that I have one, but it says I have "(0 new messages)" between the "User Control Panel" and "View your topics", maybe I looked at it last night, but I doubt it, I will look after I post this.

izzo
Site Admin
Title: Save a pimp, Rent a bitch.
Cars: Too many

Post by izzo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:32 pm

ill send you a test message
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
jayden71: titty ponk
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:40 pm

izzo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:32 pm wrote:ill send you a test message

It showed me I had a message this time, thankyou. :)

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:15 pm

Well I am back to not showing I have a message again.
Question, I get notified via email when I have a message, but I forget after a while, I send the notification to the recycle bin and then when I log on here I have already forgotten, but since I looked at the notification in my email, would that somehow be why it doesn't show I have a message?
It doesn't show the content of the message in my email, it just says I have a message, when I do go into the message window, it shows as an unread message.
Another thing it does is when I log on, it goes to this window I don't pay attention to, could this window be my issue?
I will sign out and sign back in and look at what the window is.

EDIT
The window is a chat window with a box above it that says no private message can be found, could that be why it doesn't show I have a message in my box, because of that one line above the chat box?

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:37 am

Ok. Im gonna say you are thinking things work differently than they do... So its not really an issue, and more of a change to how things work...

What you receive via email does not change anything done on the forum. If you click on the link in the email, you are taken to the PM here, and thus the message is read and you have no "unread messages" and no "new messages".

If you do not click on the link in the email, the forum should indicate to you that there is a "new message" just below the header image. If you click on that that counter will drop to 0, even if you do not look at the PM. That counter is a "new message(s)" counter, not an "unread message(s)" counter. This is the same behavior as it is on Ratsun.

If its not behaving like that, somehow you are managing to clear the counter without realizing it. I have gone 2 weeks without checking a PM or clicking that link and the counter never went away.

I will look at changing the behavior the counter as I do find it annoying that you can still have unread messages but not new messages.

As far as logging and coming to a window... Im confused. Im really not sure what type of witchcraft your practice is, but I assure you, when logging in the first screen you view should be the main index.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:22 pm

When I log in, the first window I get after I am logged in is chat, and only chat, I have to click on the board index to see the thread categories, that first window does have a line above chat that says it could not find a message, and above that is the counter line that says I have "0" messages along with the normal things like "User Control Panel, ect.
OK, so the mere fact that I click on the message in my Gmail account zeros out my messages number on here, even though I cannot read the content of the message till I log in here because the content is not in the email notification, well at least I know what is going on now.
I cannot even tell who the message is from, they all say I have received a message from "izzo".
BTW, I can read the content of my messages from Ratsun in my Gmail account without logging in there, and it does not zero out my message notification on Ratsun itself, it still shows red above, so there are differences.