Laecaons New Place!

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Laecaons New Place!

Post by Laecaon » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:19 pm

Um, I didnt get pictures of the place yet. Maybe tomorrow. Got the keys Tuesday.

So I did the natural thing, and promptly worked on the garage first.

This is after I cleaned the floor. Degreased the oil spots. Then Citric acid washed/etched the concrete. To my surprise the oil disappeared. And so did the tire marks.

And that was so that I could lay down an Epoxy Floor! I have always wanted to do this. I wonder how glossy it will actually be. It does say high gloss... There are the standard white/blue/black specs. I did run into 1 snafu...

So I cleaned up, and then tested the garage door... oh crap, if you hit the button on the way down it just goes back up. But if you hit it again it stops... But the delay is massive... and this is important because I cant close the garage door on the wet epoxy floor. But then I realized that earlier I had found a 4ft piece of 1/8th round steel. So I bent the end into a U. Paused the door about 2 feet from the ground. Reached under and managed to pull the Emergency handle. Yay. Found a cap in the my car about an inch tall, placed it next to the door track, and manually let the door down on it. 1/2" gap across the bottom! success!

I think tomorrow I am going to prime the walls of the garage. Raw Drywall no bueno. Probably will paint it too.

BLUE
Cars: (3) s30's , (2) s130's

Re: Laecaons New Place!

Post by BLUE » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:08 pm

Nice Jacob , congrats man !
I hope you are enjoy each minute of i lt from here on out.

I think you’re wise to get the garage floor done first.
No moving everything 2-4x to coat it later...

Again , awesome day for you
DRIVEN » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:24 am wrote:
1. Make progress until broke.
2. Go make mo money.
3. Repeat.

jtinluvr
Cars: 66' SPL311
72' 521
72' B110

Post by jtinluvr » Fri May 01, 2020 5:25 am

Did you just use one of the big box store epoxy kits?

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Fri May 01, 2020 9:27 am

Yea, this is the Rust-Oleum RockSolid kit.

If I had more time I probably would have ordered a polyurea 1 part kit online. They are also 2-3X more expensive though.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri May 01, 2020 1:37 pm

Your priorities are dead-on.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

Taterhead
Cars: '71 510 - Mine
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Fri May 01, 2020 1:40 pm

That is 100% fact^^^

Fantastic man. Congrats. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Wed May 06, 2020 9:37 pm

I did manage to paint 2 of the walls on Friday before moving a lot of stuff in. You can see in the picture, its just white Primer now. Gonna finish that up this weekend, and maybe get to actually painting it. I picked out a color already.

And I got my shop lights in! Still need to hang the last one, but its already so much better. You can see the relative brightness of the old 60w incandescent to these claimed 3600lumen or 4000lumen (the description was not clear). I am already thinking of ordering more though. And if you look close enough, you can see light reflecting off the ceiling. I should paint that too...(https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hykolity-4-Pac ... %7Ciid%3A1)

flatcat19
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Post by flatcat19 » Thu May 07, 2020 5:23 pm

I found 4' long LEDs at Walmart, their brand, and I stalled those in my garage. Bought 2 @ $20 a piece. Huge difference. Damn near lights everything with just the two of them. I don't even have them spaced evenly.

Congrats on ownership. We're getting there. Looking pretty hard now.

BLUE

Post by BLUE » Thu May 07, 2020 11:21 pm

Nice.

Your man cave needs MOAR pvc pipe w/ multiple air fitting access points. I haven’t done it yet , but been wanting to mount a smart tv in my garage so I can pretend my knowledge isn’t stolen from YouTube while working on randomness.
2. Go make mo money.
3. Repeat.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Fri May 08, 2020 11:05 am

Ill probably get around to that. I want to tuck the air compressor away. Speaking of air compressor. That is one thing I have not found yet in the storage.

jtinluvr
72' 521
72' B110

Post by jtinluvr » Fri May 08, 2020 5:13 pm

I would not advise using PVC for compressed air lines. I know many have and say they have no issues but try and find any PVC manufacturer that recommends using their product for air or gas use. That and I have personally seen what happens when it fails. It’s like plastic shrapnel everywhere. In the past I have used soldered copper tubing but it is much pricier now. My shop will have threaded black iron because it’s relatively cheap and I have the means to cut and thread it here.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri May 08, 2020 5:34 pm

I'll probably just run rubber hose. I'm one of those guys that has used PVC with no problems but there are certainly better options out there.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Fri May 08, 2020 6:01 pm

Yea, at work we use black Iron for the main distribution, then Some sort of PEX like line to each machine. Ill see what it is so I can get some.

I looked it up, PVC is actually an OSHA violation for compressed air. A mix of Oil, pressure, and UV light and create random explosions, and PVC is brittle and shatters.

My plan would be to run black iron up to the ceiling from the compressor. This will act like a quick way to get rid of heat. Then at the ceiling, either run more black iron out to the middle, or the plastic pipe.

But in reality, its not the largest garage. I just dont like air hoses on the ground.

jtinluvr
72' 521
72' B110

Post by jtinluvr » Fri May 08, 2020 8:02 pm

Yeah, oils will eventually soften the PVC, making it swell and possibly bursting. UV (not really a problem inside) does make it brittle. The biggest problem is that it is what is called “notch sensitive”. If it gets a deep enough scratch it will create a stress point and then failure. Also, certain thread sealants will degrade PVC to the point of failure. Professionally I have run branch air lines in both polyethylene and polyurethane. Polyethylene is usually rated at 100-125psi but can be found at 150psi rating. Polyurethane can be had with higher ratings but not really necessary for a home system. Polyethylene is somewhat more flexible than polyurethane but is more dependent on wall thickness. Whatever you end up doing, make sure to put a leg on the last connection point with a valve to drain off the water accumulation. Off my soapbox now.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri May 08, 2020 8:05 pm

I use air hoses on the walls, one to the reel near the front of the garage, another to a reel just outside my back door for when I need to air tires up on my garden equipment, I have a coil hose at the compressor for the work bench and another line on the ceiling that connects to that rear reel for the Coats tire changer equipment, hoses are easy to replace and route behind things, but I am using it less and less as time goes by, I use them Milwaukie M12 fuel tools now if possible.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Sat May 09, 2020 8:59 am

Yay 5 minute (if that) upgrades! Changed out the shower head.

I switched to one of these types of heads at my old house because the shower neck was too low and I could hit the shower head with my head easily, Im like 5'10 so not that tall. But I really liked it, plus it made washing my dog 100% easier.

Old

New

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Fri May 15, 2020 6:17 pm

Something that I have been planning for awhile, but also needed to paint first... Shelves for the garage! I really need this. Too much stuff. So making some shelves for now just to get stuff off the floor.

So progress for today, Got 2 shelves framed out. Going up 2 more, but those obviously wont be as large.

On the left is a foot deep, at the back its 2 feet deep. The width of this opening is just under 39 inches. I figured this layout will maximize my usable space. I will add some supports as well once I get the shelves made.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Sat May 16, 2020 10:53 pm

Didn't really get a chance to do too much today. Started the day with a hangover. Then off to help a friend of my moms with some tech stuff (made a cool hundo for barely any work). My mom came over to drop some stuff off, and she stayed to help clear up the kitchen, which is good because there was way too much stuff on the counters and I wasnt dealing with it. So now things are cleaner. Maybe Ill post more of the inside soon.

But for more easy updates. I changed out my thermostat. The Energy Trust of Oregon is giving a discount on smart thermostats. Well ok then. So I bought a Ecobee Smart Themostat (I looked at the Nests, but the API of the Ecobee is way friendlier with 3rd party stuff, and I have a future plan for that). But this one is pretty cool, it allows you to view monthly logs about how often your heater or AC cycles on and even the efficiency of everything. It learns too, and using the weather forecast and past times it requested heat or cold, knows how and when to call for a temperature.

Tomorrow, back to the shelves. Hopefully I can finish these ones and get stuff off of the floor.

BLUE

Post by BLUE » Sun May 17, 2020 3:55 am

Looks like a good unit. We love our wifi thermostat as well (needed one). It’s great being able to see the log history of the a/c cycling on/off. We don’t run our heat much.
2. Go make mo money.
3. Repeat.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Sun May 17, 2020 9:45 pm

I really hate my table saw. But it cuts so I suffer through. The real issue is that the blade and the fence are not parallel. So if I dont use the fence, and just clamp my own guide to the table it cuts all right. Its a base model Ryobi from like 2006.

But, I have shelves!!!

So here is the main part of it. The lack of support in the back middle I figured is fine. That board running across goes wall to wall, and is supported on both sides so it should be fine not touching the ground. I did run a board up to help with the third shelf support.

And here you can see above. I was gonna do 4 shelves up, but then I realized that if I went up another inch or so, I could just run across to the other wall. And then I figured I didnt want to try retrieving things from the back and therefore didnt want to put plywood over it. So just 4 boards.

And here is where the garage rests for now. Which is so much better than I have been dealing with. I have a bit more room on the shelves I made. I am building more shelves. I am building a work bench. Nothing is against the wall on the left (due to it not being painted yet. Pretty sure long term I am going to add a sink to the garage too. So just trying to plan out the space for it all.