Jacob's other Wagon

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Re: Jacob's other Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:01 pm

Considering the files were last updated in 07, you could use a computer from 07 easily. In fact I used to run the software on my 2008 Dell laptop.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:05 pm

WOOT, got the DME (ECU) updated! On the last release for 12/01 car like mine.

Ill have to see how it runs now.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:59 pm

Update!

Car runs sooo nicely now. Much improved. So wow. The torque is noticeable and the car just goes.

I did have an issue with oil burning, on the outside of the motor. Turned out the 3.0 valve cover was cracked. I took it off and JB welded it from the inside and out. All better.

Check engine has stayed off. I did have lean codes pop up right after DEQ, but that was either the 2.5 tune being weird or the cracked valve cover.

Also more torque meant that what was left of my diff bushings went out. So to gain some time I window welded them...

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:52 pm

Diff bushings... Less clunking, but still clunking... sigh. I think it didnt work since the bushings didnt have enough cut outs so there is not enough support by the window weld.

Had to do a pad slap. My brake pad light on my dash was on...

Driver side pads. Of course the inner pad where the sensor clips onto was worn more. The passenger side pads where worn more evenly. I did use actual brake lube this time.

And the brake pad sensor. I have avoided ever replacing this by changing my pads early. But I can get new ones for like $7.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:01 pm

It's the power...all that new power.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:10 pm

Ive been doing some more reading. I may be switching the tune on the car to the Euro version. It means I have to run at least 91 octane (pumps here are 92), as it wont have the ability to tune itself for anything lower.

I have seen conflicting reports, but what most say is that it simply disables a bunch of emissions tests by the computer... which would mean headers again... which would be more power again.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:05 pm

BMW Update!

I have done a few things.

First I installed a new head unit. It is one of those Chinese Android head units. I picked this one specifically because it had the best specs and reviews. And they 1 day shipped it from China for free.

Of course the car sends the reverse signal to the radio (I-bus/K-bus), so the unit kept switching to reverse mode every time I was in reverse. That meant time to install a reverse camera.

Tore down the hatch. Wires run to the passenger side of the hatch...

This is where the wires come "out" if the hatch. It is at the bottom right of the rear window. It then runs externally of the hatch up to the top.

This is the upper boot, at the hinge for the hatch, and it runs to the body of the car.

And of course to make it even more fun, the headliner needed to be pulled down a bit.

And the rest of it was just running the wires where I have already ran my Sub woofer wires. Pretty easy...

Running Android means lots of things to tweak and make better. Im not even running the theme shown below.

Stupid nail in tire.

And I had fun with this little piece of rebar...

It was worse than this, the bumper was pulled down about 4 inches on the drivers side. At least it had some memory and went mostly back up.

$15 bracket...

Pull the front end apart.

And back together.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:49 pm

Ok, probably one of the final updates here for a bit, unless I find something else to do... I am planning on replacing all of the rear bushing coming up soon ish...

New headlight lenses, because the stock ones are well hazy and I have already tried cleaning them.

New lens on Right.

Lens popped off, Not sure why BMW designed it this way, but sure does make it easy.

And one on, here you can see the difference pretty well. This should help keep the light focused better, and out of other's eyes.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Just did the 1500 mile oil change. I see no sparkly bits in the oil. There were some in the oil filter housing, but that is pre engine anyways, what the filter should be filtering. I have it back on full synthetic (Castrol 5w40).

Of a slight concern is a noise. Its a knock ish type noise. Sometimes. Cold start, no noise. Warmed up at idle, decent knock. I think it fades away with revs. If I drive the fuck out of it, the motor quiets up even at idle. I think it may have had something to do with the oil I put in... Originally just broke it in on 5w30 conventional. Then switched to 10w30 conventional. Its not the conventional, its the not a 40w.

Side note; OEM oil is 5w30. But if you actually get it measured, its closer to a 40 weight. That is why Both Castrol and Mobile only have their 0w40 meeting BMW spec (Castrol's 5w40 also does).

IDK, when I started it after the oil change it was mostly quiet even with the hood open.

Um. In other news, the diff bushings are quite shot. Yay. Gotta start ordering parts... because the diff comes out with the subframe, or rather, its nearly impossible to change the diff bushings without pulling the subframe. And if that is coming out, All the rear suspension bushings will be changed and the subframe bushings.

That said, I have been making a few orders for the Datsun...

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:02 am

Hope new oil quiets everything down. Sucky that those bushings are such a chore but replacing everything at once is probably a wise move. How many miles are on the car now?
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:37 pm

I didnt hear anything when I got to work, or when I came home today. *crosses fingers*

Car has just shy of 195k.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:37 pm

So. The sound... Its not better or worse. There is nothing when the engine is cold. Then when it is first warmed up, its noisy. Then after driving it more (like my 30 minutes to work), its quiet again. IDK. Probably some form of rod knock. But its not getting worse... SEND IT!!!

So in other news....

The headliner came out.

Here it is!

Oh, the sunroof glass is out.

And the sunroof mechanism...

My sunroof has started to malfunction. It tilts up just fine, but would get stuck going back and closing. Moving the cables by hand the passenger side cable is super sticky... Update when its fixed.

Oh and I am working on the Datsun this weekend. I have a few things lined up for it... but this has been annoying me every sunny day.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:09 pm

Go work on your Datsun.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:52 pm

Not sure if I really fixed anything. Its all back together. Everything functions. It was just dirty. The sun shade has a broken clip which causes issues. Just need to manipulate it a bit before moving. Glad to see not much was actually broken like so many of these cars have.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:25 am

So you just cleaned and lubed it?

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:52 am

Pretty much. Im kinda surprised nothing was really broken. The cables on these often break the tracks. But yea the passenger side was super sticky in a few spots.

I need to order a new clip for the sun shade so it stops binding.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:44 pm

Um, well the car runs around just fine. Oil consumption is probably nill. It leaks some though. STUPID PLASTIC VALVE COVERS WITH NOT ENOUGH BOLTS!!! Did my first 7500 mile oil change a month ago and it was super clean looking.

Weird sound that maybe kinda sorta sounds like rod knock seems to be happening less and less. Or im just not hearing it anymore...

Off load (not idle, and not with the gas pedal depressed), the car makes all sorts of cool noises. And you can only hear it if the windows are down... I think most of the sound are heat shields rattling.

The car definitely is way Torqueier(sp?) than before, it pulls hard to 4k rpm. But I think the cats are clogged. It struggles hard to rev out any higher. The car is way slower in the 60-90 range. But faster to 60... I really want to throw the ebay headers back on...

Also, I rolled the car over 200k. Everything still works on the car. Interior buttons still feel nice, not rubbed through. Seats, well I wish they werent real leather. Cracked, but not broken or torn. Overall the car is holding up great for being 17 years old with 200k. I wish the engine would have lasted...

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Alright, did some (repeat) work. Valve cover is back to one of my old ones that I "fixed". So far the 2 miles I have driven the car since hasn't resulted in any leak.

Here is the really bad crack that I attempted to fix once. This is right above the rear 02 sensor. So yea, smoke show.

No noticeable oil staining under the valve cover. Oil looks clean. I did check my catch can last oil change, not even close to full, and pretty much pure oil so low condensation in the crankcase.

Oh, and my coolant light randomly comes on. Cool thing about BMW coolant, it coagulates in open air. Its really similar to G-05, but with some additives. It also changes color. Starts Blue, but if it gets too old it turns more of a green color. Its not expensive. Im probably going to run it in the Datsun.

Here is a picture of some coagulation due to my water pump leaking, again...

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:35 am

That valve is worse than I remember. No more burning oil on the cats! But just leaking a bunch at the front...

So then I found out there is a guy selling brand new OEM valve covers with gasket on eBay for $100. And it had various 4/5 stars with people saying it was new and OEM. Even if it's not OEM. If it's flat, it's going on.

Need to grab my ramps from my friend to get the car in the air to so the water pump

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:39 pm

Oops, may have not tighten the front valve cover bolts enough. Tight now. A lot of people have issues doing the job a bit warm and pulling a stud.

Got the water pump replaced. 99% sure that was the issue. Though it could be the thermostat. The thermostat is directly above the waterpump. If its leaking it is possible it is leaking onto the waterpump which is causing the same effect. But when I looked at it, the build up was not inline with the mating flange, but inline with the WP pulley.