Around Waynos house

DRIVEN

Re: Around Waynos house

Post by DRIVEN » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Lou will probably take it off your hands.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:20 pm

So I have been burning waste oil for 2 weeks and have went thru at least 20 gallons, I have found a couple with water in them and one with water in the bottom that the oil is a weird color, I will save that for the end of this endevor, when I pour the oil thru a paint filter if I am careful I can get the oil out leaving the water in the bottom of the jug.
I have about 10/15 gallons of waste oil left, and another 8 or so gallons of veggie oil I took out of a diesel truck tank I bought because the transmission was shot(it also had an SD25 engine and that is why I bought it), that stuff is what I use to start the stove when it burns out at night while I am sleeping, that stuff burns way faster and hotter than the waste oil.
Last night I burned a weird batch as I found little black spots down wind on everything in the back yard.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:51 pm

When I set mine up I could adjust it with the air pressure. There was a little spring loaded door you could look through to see inside the fire box. I found that when the flame was adjusted to the size of a basketball it was perfect. No smoke at all out the chimney, just those heat lines you see off hot asphalt. If I dialed back the pressure just a little bit the flame would go orange and black smoke would billow out along with some soot.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:43 pm

DRIVEN wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:51 pm
When I set mine up I could adjust it with the air pressure. There was a little spring loaded door you could look through to see inside the fire box. I found that when the flame was adjusted to the size of a basketball it was perfect. No smoke at all out the chimney, just those heat lines you see off hot asphalt. If I dialed back the pressure just a little bit the flame would go orange and black smoke would billow out along with some soot.
I have lots of soot, I am kinda wondering if the 8 one inch holes(4 on each side) are big enough to let enough air in, also I have a cap on the top of the stack that kinda acts like a bottle neck, the air going up kinda runs into a wall and it kinda puffs out all sides.
Also when the door of the stove is closed sometimes it starts this pulsating thing where flames are trying to come out of the 8 holes, but if I even crack the stove door open a quarter inch it stops doing that pulsating thing.
I did get the stove super hot once having both them feed lines open, what I believe happened was when I turned off the veggie oil line it was so hot that the waste oil line burned right up the feed line and then it plugged up about 8 inches in and the stove went out full of oil in the tub above.
I had to take a coat hanger and grind the one end into a sharp flat edge screwdriver shape, the other end I stuck in a drill and I unplugged the line, it has been burning most the time since.
I went to the hardware store to try and buy 5/16ths copper line but no one except parkrose hardware carries that size and they do not have a ball valve that size, so I decided to just make due with what i have now, another week and all the waste oil will be gone, then I will experiment with the veggie oil.
Right now the stove door is opened up a 1/4 inch, I am waiting to see if more air changes anything, but I do not want to be sleeping or gone with that door open at all, the stove does not burn that hot just feeding it waste oil, with the fan on med pointed at the stove, I can actually put my hand on the end of the stove the fan is pointed at and not get burned, nothing around the stove gets so hot I cannot touch it, except that one time.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:52 pm

So all the waste oil is gone, I switched over to the veggie oil(clean amber color), that stuff is unpredictable, the main drip feed valve worked wide open with the waste oil, well this veggie oil pours thru it, I cannot find the happy spot, either the stove goes out or it burns way too hot for my liking.
So then I switched over the the other drip setup, when I first turned it on way too much oil came out of it also, I closed the valve some and it did the same thing, either it goes out or it had too much oil coming out, it burned out on me again, I restarted it and wide open appeared to be the happy place, but I just now went out and looked and it was going out again, I started the other drip feed again, I will be happy when all this oil is gone, I have about 7 gallons left including what is in the drip feed containers.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:31 pm

I just now had to go out there and turn off the bigger valve, the stove was freaking out and I had flames coming out the top of the stack.
I could not get the camera to focus pointed at the sky, and by the time I got this photo of it the flames coming out were not nearly as intence.

I have to leave the door of the stove slightly open as the stove cannot get enough air, I wondered about this when I was making the stove into a waste oil burner, I read about how guys making stoves from scratch have big/large intakes for air, if I close the stove door flames start to pulse out all the vent holes and it sounds like it could blow out the glass in the front of the stove, but if I open the door a quarter of an inch it acts normal, but I do not know what normal is for a waste oil stove.

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:41 pm

I got rid of the kingcab diesel chassis/frame today, I had plans for it, but plans change, I watched it leave with someone that might be able to use it.
That is one less thing to think about now, more stuff to get rid of though.

I am almost done with the veggie oil now, it's really hard to get it to burn steady without keeping an eye on it, I get it just right and a half hour later it burns out, but adjusting the valve a little more open and it over flows out of the frying pan, I did almost get it to burn clean without visible smoke, but it just starts pouring out smake for no reason and then clears out again, I tried a smaller container in the frying pan but that didn't work well at all, maybe I did not give it enough time though, but with maybe 3 gallons of veggie oil left, and maybe half a gallon of clean gear lube that looked like veggie oil, I will be done with that without being turned in by anyone.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:21 pm

Well it is all gone, no more waste oil left, I figured out at the very end how to get the veggie oil to burn predictably, I read how others burned waste oil and how they built their stoves, and how they routed their drip lines, well they put the end of the tubes within 3 inches of the cup which I tried, I also tried it within an inch of the frying pan I used most the time, well yesterday I moved the end of the drip tubes a couple inches from the top of the stove, the oil was dropping a foot before hitting the frying pan, it burned great and predictably with both drip systems I was using, and the smoke coming out of the stack was clear at times, I wish I had played around with the drip tube height sooner.

Now I need to find something else to do with my time. :lol:

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:15 pm

Big flakes

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:56 am

We dont even have that much snow at 10am in Hillsboro.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:22 am

Well I woke up to this.

Then I took a walk around to see what the main road looked like and found this, it is the first time this tree has ever suffered any damage.

This snow is heavy, it likely will make good snowman snow.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:28 am

A bit lucky there, trailer/truck missed that branch barely.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:33 pm

Yea it might have hurt something if it had landed on the truck cab, but I don't think it would have done much to the flatbed or the trailer with the ladders on it, I suspect it was hanging pretty low when it snapped, but it is all in the back of the truck now, it was a couple feet higher than the cab when it was all on the flatbed, but then I put straps on it and jumped up and down on it, doesn't look like much anymore.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:56 pm

Tomorrow I am going to look at a 1970 Datsun U521, I am not going to buy it, I am just going to look at it, taking my 521 kingcab.
This is the truck I was going to buy from TicoBill in Costa Rica, but that rich guy showed up at his door and bought it from him in person.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:20 am

Pretty interesting vehicle.

Ni10
Cars: 68 510 wagon, 71 521, 78 620 KC

Post by Ni10 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:45 am

so the 1970 Datsun U521 is now in Washington ?
DRIVEN » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:01 am wrote: Datsuns don't break down. They just get unscheduled upgrades.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:17 am

All of those models that we didn't see and are hardly in the manuals are pretty neat. Not much is known about them.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:05 am

Ni10 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:45 am
so the 1970 Datsun U521 is now in Washington ?
It is in Portland OR in the hands of someone that knows very little about Datsuns.
I asked how he found the truck, he said he had seen it on ebay in a "buy it now" auction, under the "buy it now" was a "make offer" option, he made an offer, and the seller took the offer, that is how he ended up with it.
The guy/owner messaged me thru Ratsun asking me a couple questions about the truck, I answered his questions the best I could and asked to see the truck in person, so today I am going to see the truck, I was hoping to get a few photos of it, and a couple more of it next to my 521 kingcab.
This guy knows nothing about older vehicles as far as I can tell, he said he got it back from the shop yesterday as it had no brakes when he took possession of it, I believe it is stock, I will know for sure later today.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:35 am

Good, maybe you can talk him into ditching those hideous wheels.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:05 pm

I do not know what is on the truck now, them photos are from when it was in Costa Rica.
I started the 521 kingcab and filled it with diesel, it's been a while since I drove it, it is way better than the 720 kingcab, that truck is noisy and it still has a vibration since lowering it with them 620 mobile home leafs, it still is not where it needs to be.