Around Waynos house

wayno

Re: Around Waynos house

Post by wayno » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:19 am

It's not really that organised, but I can usually find what I need when I start looking.
My problem is that I hardly ever throw parts away in case I need them, the first 3 tubs on the left on the floor are diesel parts, the next one is 320 parts and the next one is 521/720 front end suspension parts, one shelf up on left is the 521 parts tub, then the 521/720 wiper motor/720 heater motor/fans, next is 521 heater box, next diesel wiring harnesses, next another 320 parts, next hubcaps, above that gaskets, it just goes on and on, but except for a few things I don't have to buy much for my rigs anymore, I have everything I need.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:21 pm

Today I didn't work as hard as usual, I just tore down several heads, I could not get them clean, the valve guides and seats are still in them, the pile in front of the heads is clean aluminum, I also tore apart all the bad brake and clutch masters around here, I drilled a hole in the end and knocked out all the guts in every one of them, that pile also has the aluminum cam towers and Z head rocker towers, that stuff is all clean also, I have no need to buy any studs for a while, any scrap aluminum is going to go away soon.

I also was scrapping the larger boosters I have around here and one had this sender/sensor on it, did the late 720 trucks have a booster failure light in the dash, this is something new to me.

Here is the end.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:39 am

Interesting. I've never seen that before.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:38 am

I have never seen it before either, I noticed it when I was tearing off the brake master on the booster, likely in the next month I am going to be making a couple runs to get rid of/sell metal to clean things up around here.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:16 pm

I am still organizing my garage, I didn't think to take a before photo as I didn't know I was going to do what I did, you can see in the photo below that the shelf with the 3.5 gallon buckets was already there as the wood is dark, what I did was make a shelf extending 4 shelf bays, you can see the wood is fresh cut, 2 bays the shelf is in the middle and the far 2 bays it is slightly higher so I can put coffee cans on the lower shelf, the first 2 bays have mixed nut plastic containers, doing this I was able to empty my work bench.

All the plastic containers were on the shelf above the work bench, right now there is just random stuff on that shelf as I wanted to clear the bench and get out of the garage, I have been in there all day.

I am still using that lithium battery I bought for my 18V tools and am still on the first charge, I stuck it in the skill saw and was cutting away and then I would stick it in the small impact driver to sink all the screws in to mount the shelves, it is down to two lights now out of 4 lights, it is supposed to be charged when it gets to one light.

I am kinda liking it, it is lighter and appears to be lasting longer, I need to use it in my angle head grinder/cutter, batteries don't last long it that tool, that is why I use my 120V angle head grinder/cutter for most my jobs that involve cutting metal, and the Dewalt 120V angle head grinders are cheap to replace, I think they are $80.00 or thereabouts right now at Home Depot, likely cheaper on ebay.

Taterhead
Cars: '71 510 - Mine
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:22 am

Dang Wayno, looking good in there. That’s an easy way to lose a couple (or 7) hours. You probably already know that lithium ion batteries don’t slowly die. They just shut off while you’re balancing on a ladder 2 stories up trying to mount new flood lights.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:27 am

Compared to what it looked like a month ago your right, it's looking good in there!
I thought I was running out of 12mm head nuts and 1/2" head nuts until I sorted out all the containers around here with nuts and bolts in them, now I have a surplus, before organizing I had to search for a 12mm head nut, now I have a couple hundred of them, I also was having issues finding long 12mm head bolts, now the container is too full that I keep them in.
I am not sure what to put on the shelf above the work bench now, I was going to put battery operated tools there, but the shelf is not tall/large enough for most of my Dewalt tools/Makita drills, either they hang out too far or are too tall to set them down upright, maybe I will just find more plastic containers, last night I emptied the shelf and it is beckoning for me to put something on it(in my mind). :lol:

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:01 pm

I found out today that it is against the law in Washington to sell battery acid to the public, one of my batteries tipped over and lost half of the acid a while back, I had 7 batteries that would not charge anymore that I needed to get rid of and there is a place 5 blocks away from me, I got $48.00 for them and I drained almost 2 gallons of acid out of them total and saved it before selling them the batteries, I now have enough battery acid for the rest of my life, that battery started charging like crazy when it was full of acid.

One of the guys at the battery place liked my 521 kingcab, he took a photo of it and when I got back to sell them the batteries he asked me if I had ever heard of the Ratsun vehicle, I looked at him and said Ratsun was a forum, he found a photo on his phone and showed it to me, it was that rust colored chopped top model T with the Datsun frame/engine, and dually I believe that shows up at Blue Lake every year, it's his step dads, he sent him the photo of my 521KC and he said he had seen me/knew of me, small world.

Garage is getting more organized every day, I am starting to get used to where the tools are now and not having to search every drawer for what I need, also I finally had to put the 18V lithium battery on the charger as the angle grinder was cutting out(it was down to one light), that lasted quite a while and I used it on the skill saw and the angle head, and have been using it to remove and sink screws since I charged it the first time, I kinda like this battery and it is very light compared to the Dewalt battery and it appears to be lasting quite a long time, I need to start using the Milwaukee M12 stuff, but the Dewalt 1/4" driver is so easy to use when organizing/making shelves/cleaning/working on my trucks, to date I believe these Dewalt tools are the best battery powered tools I have ever owned in my life, and I am still using the first one I ever bought, I have never broken one of these tools although I have broken a few studs/bolts/screws using them.

Taterhead
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:52 am

If you don’t have cases for your drills anymore this may be a viable option, PVC hangers

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:28 am

I like that idea a lot Taterhead, I have a place for that idea under the selves with all the containers, but it is only good for the cordless tools as I don't want cords hanging everywhere.

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:39 pm

I bid on and won a 720 ST steering wheel and then I got this a little while after the auction ended, I believe he is a liar.

New message from: franciscoblueice (58Blue Star)
Sorry to let you know the item was sold somewhere else
Last edited by wayno on Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:54 pm

That was a great idea Taterhead, that is what I did this morning/afternoon, made holders for my Dewalt tools and Makita drills, it freed up a lot of room 3 different places.

I used door seal material for the angle-head grinder.

And I used hangglider aluminum tubing for the Dewalt drivers.

I then moved my chargers to the top of the tool chest below where I put the tools, I will see if I like them better here.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:01 pm

Looks great all in one spot like that. Gold stars for both you and Tater.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

Taterhead
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:53 am

Hell you even did it better by using stuff you already had around the house. Well done sir

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:58 pm

Thanks, I don't spend money unless I have to or if I don't know I had what I needed already, then I kinda get mad at myself.

Today I cleaned the small shed out of everything except drive lines(I cut 2 of them up), 520/521 gas tanks, oil pans, and radiators, while I was digging I found a decent 521 valance I thought was a bumper and a great looking A14 exhaust manifold with head pipe, that should be worth something.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:46 pm

I started the NL320 today, I cannot remember the last time I started this truck, it needed a little gas down the carb to get it going as the fuel filter was empty, it stayed empty so I poured 3 gallons into the tank and went at it again, then I warmed it up, I need to start driving this again.

Taterhead
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:52 am

Yes, yes you do.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:06 pm

I made 2 trips the the metal recycling place, yesterday I took the aluminum(184lbs), today I took the steel(2340lbs), I didn't get a lot of money but it is not here anymore which was the goal, I forgot a couple heavy things but that was a heavy enough load, I will deal with what is left another day, I will likely find more anyway.

BLUE
Cars: (3) s30's , (2) s130's

Post by BLUE » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:25 am

wayno wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:47 pm
I have a question, my welding helmet fogs up something awful from my breathing and then I cannot see, it happens fast, what do you guys do to keep that from happening?
I'm a mouth breather :idea:
I breath through ,your nose while welding.
By the way , the titanium Flux core 125fc is the best Flux core welder I've ever used (only DC inverted one I've used).
I'm not a welder though , but I won't be going back to AC....
Weighs 15.3 lbs.

Sad to say I haven't checked in on this thread in a while , but enjoy it !

Friendly reminder , Don't forget to lubricate (with approved grease) your GENIE screw driver screw ,.... (very well made opener) and spray the end bearing plates , springs , rollers etc on your garage door. The sealed bearing rollers are the best kind when the time comes. Trolleys strip out every once in a while on those genies.
DRIVEN » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:24 am wrote:
1. Make progress until broke.
2. Go make mo money.
3. Repeat.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:43 am

Ignore this, I tried quoting after writing a comment and my reply was lost so I just erased everything.
Last edited by wayno on Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.