Around Waynos house

wayno

Re: Around Waynos house

Post by wayno » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:43 pm

Gasket for the water pump is on the way.
All I did today was make this A14 engine movable with the battery, gas can, radiator legs on the stand itself, I can roll it around without screwing anything up or roll it outside to make room in the garage.

All I need to do now is sell these engines, they are on craigslist but not getting a lot of calls yet.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

jtinluvr
Cars: 66' SPL311
72' 521
72' B110

Post by jtinluvr » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:58 pm

I hope I’m wrong, but usually (at least with me) there will be next to no interest, but then as soon as you no longer have them, there will be a demand. If you want to guarantee to get rid of them, package them with one of your dogleg 5 speeds and away they will go. All or nothing deal!

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:09 pm

^^^That's solid marketing^^^
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:07 pm

I suppose you are right, if I connected a 60 series to them they might go fast, I do have one dogleg also, but the MG guys want the 60 series/type.
I have always had other plans for them 5 speeds, I have a J15 in the back that I was thinking about making an adapter plate to mate one to that engine, but now I am not sure I will even do that anymore as I have been thinking about selling all my 320s also, I never drive them and likely never will anymore, I would rather drive something comfortable that can get out of its own way.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:34 pm

The engine with the automatic is supposed to go away in the morning, he offered a $100.00 for the other one, but I figure the matchbox distributor on it is worth that, and that engine runs great, way cleaner than the one being sold, I think I can get more for it eventually.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:06 pm

The A15 has been sold for what I was asking, the A14 will be on craigslist soon.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:58 pm

Yay space.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:22 pm

^^^Exactly^^^

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:15 pm

I put the A14 on the engine stand with a 5 speed connected to it, I started it and it sounded like the transmission was howling, the clutch cover/disc were not installed when I bolted the transmission up, so being the only part of the transmission touching the crank was the pilot bearing and it continued to howl when I stopped the output shaft from turning with my hand I removed the transmission, what's hilarious is I was trying to figure out how to support the engine without the transmission connected to it, well the thing doesn't need the transmission to support it, it just sits there even while it is running without moving any transmission at all.

Then I worked on this hydraulic dump bed thing I bought several years ago, it's not very big so I don't know how much it will lift, but it does work, all I need is the switch, right now I just touch the wires together to make it function.
I poured new fluid in it, it lifts and drops.

I was thinking about sticking it under a truck and seeing if it will lift it tomorrow, the scissor part is very heavy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:08 pm

So I messed around with that small dump bed hydraulic setup I bought maybe 10 years ago and that I had done nothing with it, I put it under the back bumper, I used vice grips to hold the plate from flopping around.

Then as the neighbor woman watched I stood back in case anything flew and I touched the 2 wires together and the thing lifted the back of the truck right off the ground without any issues except for one of the vice grips flying off(a couple feet).

I could hardly believe it, we talked a little while and then I lowered the truck down on the ground and wired a switch into the end of the line so I would not burn my fingers as them wire ends got hot.

I put new ends on the wires at the relay yesterday.

I am wondering what to do with this now, I thought about making the 521 kingcab stepside bed a dump box, but the truck runs so good right now I don't want to mess with it too much, that box hardly weighs anything so it would be good for small loads, but I got other projects also, I will think about it some more, maybe another 10 years, :lol:

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:40 pm

Pretty cool unit. I'm sure you'll think of something to do with it.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:51 am

All the A series engines are gone now, I guess it was worth getting them running.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:29 pm

I put the J15 on the stand and got it running again, it has a Weber and appears to be alright, it has 60psi oil pressure cold, and around 30psi when warmed up idling.
The coil got a little warm, when I tried hooking the tach up it started jolting me, so I wonder if it is an electronic ignition type coil, but I don't know how to figure out which type it is, I am sure it will smoke the points if it's the wrong coil.
I am not sure the tach is reading right either as it idled best at 1500rpms, but it didn't seem like it was that high to me, I git it down under a 1000rpms and the fan was barely turning.

All my other engines are on stands of some kind, so was the J15 but it was a cheesy stand that was not the greatest for running the engine, this stand works great and the tires don't go flat. :lol:

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:18 am

I pulled this out of storage today, need to get rid of it, I heard that this engine has the intake and exhaust manifolds the 510 guys want.

For me it is too big a hassle to start this engine, anyone know someone that wants this engine?

jtinluvr
Cars: 66' SPL311
72' 521
72' B110

Post by jtinluvr » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:40 pm

I might be. Does it have the wiring harness/computer? Is there a trans with it also?

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:51 pm

Is that the one that Mike Klotz had?

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:58 pm

I was messing around the house today and I get bored easy, so I removed the 4 speed transmission from the J15 and I started looking at the A series 5 speed, the flywheel on the J15 was to large and they are really expensive/hard to find I gave up on that idea right away.
So I had a clutch alignment tool that fit so I removed the clutch cover, I looked at the disc and took it over to a L series 5 speed and it slid right on, I looked at the end of the shafts on the 4 and 5 speeds and they were the same size so I put the stock J15 clutch cover/disc back on and tried to fit the L series 5spd onto the J15 engine, it resisted and then all of a sudden slid all the way home.
I stood around looking at it for a while, not one of the mount holes lined up with the shift lever pointed straight up, I also didn't try installing the clutch fork in the 5 speed yet.
Now the transmission mount is farther back which could be an issue, but the short shaft 5 speed has the shift lever in almost the same place as the 4 speed.

Now this might be a waste if time as the E1 and J13 engines do not have a lot of power, but if one left the stock 4.88 rear gearing the 5spd might work as an overdrive.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:15 pm

It appears to me that part of the L series front case interferes with the stock J15 starter, this part of the case would have to be ground away to fit the stock J15 starter and a new plate would need to be made with J series block mount holes and L series transmission mount holes.
The stock J15 throw out bearing works fine on the stock clutch arm for the L series 5spd front case.
To go any farther I would need to see if the transmission would fit in a 320, at least for me, but I am not going to do this right now.
I just wanted to know if it was possible using the 60 series Datsun 210 transmission, the MG guys made a kit so I know it's possible, but not with the flywheel on my J15 which is a lot like the MGB engine.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:56 pm

So are you thinking adapter plate like Rivergate?

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:44 pm

DRIVEN wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:56 pm
So are you thinking adapter plate like Rivergate?
Yea, that was the plan, but I was thinking if one has to modify the transmission case then forget it, originally I thought about using the B series 5 speed, but it appears that to do that on this J15 series engine I would have to use the B series flywheel also, that would mean drilling new flywheel mount holes if it is possible at all.
The only reason I tried the L series transmission was because the A series transmission case would not go over the J15 flywheel, that L series transmission was right there so I played around with it a little, this is a dead end for me, I have no plans on doing this anytime soon, I sold both the A series engines, I will likely sell the transmissions also as I have no use for them anymore.