AWD for the hardbody

HRH
Cars: Lots

AWD for the hardbody

Post by HRH » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:40 pm

So here's something I actually want to do: Equip the hardbody 4x4 with a center differential of sorts to allow for better turning when 4wd is engaged. For regular wheeling, it's not a problem, but ice in the winter and I kick it out of 4x4 for tight turns, then back in once the turn is navigated. It would be nicer if it were like the Subaru and a bit more seamless.

My thought would be to attach a very small differential (with the snout cut off since no need for a pinion gear) in line from the T-case to the front driveshaft. The only problem is I would need it to be clutched or somehow split so it's at least 60 rear 40 front. Thinking maybe I could retrofit a Subi center LSD into a smaller modified housing and achieve this. Not quite sure.

Anyone else ever have this hair-brained idea?
"Self proclaimed most active poster on NWD." - Me

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Re: AWD for the hardbody

Post by Laecaon » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:32 pm

Does this have locked front or rear diffs? Ive never heard of 4wd being a problem on ice except with a locked front diff.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:53 pm

Or on dry pavement.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

HRH

Post by HRH » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:13 pm

It has a rear locker, which does tend to cause understeer initially, then oversteer. I've gotten used to it, but the truck is so long with the extended cab, it makes it less desirable in winter. A WD21 or standard cab hardbody with shorter wheelbase does quite a bit better for turning. Don't get me wrong, it goes anywhere and I love it, but I leave the back end empty so I can steer with the rear. Otherwise the locker makes it go straight when wanting to turn.

The Subaru on the other hand, is much nicer to drive. Of course, the wheelbase is also quite a bit shorter. I'm just thinking of ways to make things more complicated. Or be able to run 4wd on dry pavement and still turn without stressing drivetrain parts. ;)

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:44 pm

Your plan needs moar beers.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

HRH

Post by HRH » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:24 pm

I swore off drinking for a year. Dead sober. :shock: This is normal for my brain, however.