The never ending Project(s)

wayno

Re: The never ending Project(s)

Post by wayno » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:08 pm

Transmissions are heavy. :(

You could try using two ratchet straps around the torsion bars and slowly ratchet it up there high enough to get under it.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

Taterhead
Cars: '71 510 - Mine
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:16 am

Nice score. That'll look good when you're done.

IIRC, the most common size for those wheels are 15x7.5. Mine were.

HRH
Cars: Lots

Post by HRH » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:52 pm

Izzo, you should be able to bench press the transmission if you turtle it. Get the truck a foot off the ground or so, then slide the transmission onto your belly. Put your hands on the bellhousing, and feet on the tailshaft. Then push up and wiggle out. You have to turn it 90 degrees, so empty the gear oil before you do it. Works like a charm. It is a pain in the ass though.
"Self proclaimed most active poster on NWD." - Me

izzo
Site Admin
Title: Save a pimp, Rent a bitch.
Cars: Too many

Post by izzo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:07 pm

Thanks for the info Matt. I have been successful in the past doing just that, and other ways. Had some health issues and am down to 137 pounds. Just don't have it in me lol. I may give it one more go, but i have the motor half disconnected. Have the passenger side to finish (basically the heater hoses, oil sending unit wire) and then it should be go time to pull it out.

David stopped by (the guy who gave me the truck in trade) and dropped off the other half of my drive shaft! Stoked, hopefully by the weekend this will be a driver again. Just going to give it a quick once over then start mashing it around town. If it runs good, that is.

Pulling the ehxaust off, someone used the incorrect bolts. The threads seem like they maybe ok, but I will def have to chase them with a tap, and possibly heli-coil some of them. We shall see. I know the down pipe studs are all busted off, Not even surprised. Everyone always breaks them off. I've got pretty good and lucky with a torch and some Kroil.

About it for updates for the night lol. Ill post up once I get more shat done
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
jayden71: titty ponk
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:09 pm

I wish it was that easy, I cannot get it up there anymore either. :(
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:54 pm

wayno wrote:I wish it was that easy, I cannot get it up there anymore either. :(

lol@ your choice of wording wayno :D

Motor is all ready to come out, tomorrow it will do just that, and should be back in shortly thereafter
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:11 pm

Motor out. Trans on. Back in and bolted down. Need to install the starter. Plumb it all up. Etc etc. Will be test firing tomorrow

8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:07 am

:thumbs:
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:56 pm

It's in and it runs! Need to grab some gl4 from work tomorrow along with a box of hose clamps and should be good to go.

Need to install the radiator, drive line. Cross member. Reverse lights. Speedometer and exhaust.
The guy that bought this for the trans said the tail lights and brake lights didn't work. I was able to get them to work. The driver side head light is a little on the dim side leading me to think grounds. I cleaned up the ones I found under the hood and the one by the rear valance. When I hit the high beams it dims a bit more. So somewhere a ground is bad or something. I'll double check to make sure I didn't pinch a power wire on the core support but don't think that's the case here.

Once I get the heater hoses, drive line/cross member installed and all that. I'll run it for a bit and see if I can find any leaks. Hoping to drive it to work soon. I want to put miles on this instead of the red car.

Going to finish polishing the paint. It's getting the windows tinted. Also going to give this thing a rake. Idk how much of one yet. Low pros on the back and something with a bit more sidewall and wide in the rear.

8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:11 pm

There is no ground in the headlight circuit anywhere on the headlight side of the headlight relay, it is a strange circuit.

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:54 am

Hmm. Well, every time I've had this issue it turned out to be a ground. I pulled the headlight connectors and cleaned them up just in case.

I'm not very good with electrical. But i'm sure itll get figured out. Shoot maybe it's the relay itself? Could be the headlight itself too. But odd that when I turned on the brights it gets more dim. It's gotta be a ground somewhere causing it I would think
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:54 pm

Looks like a pretty decent start.

Sounds like I might have to open up a wiring diagram too see whats going on.

Holy shit dude, 137lbs is not much, I think you are taller than me? One of my friends is my height, and he is skinny at 140Lbs.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:38 pm

Well Tim I have this thing I do, I use 720 wiring harnesses in all my truck builds, I have done a shitload of them now and adding a ground to the headlight circuit screws things up, even that little brights indicator light in the 521 dash/instrument cluster, in the 521 that grounds out but in the 720 it has 2 wires and it is isolated from the ground, so for the 521 dash I had to buy a plastic bulb holder to put in the brights indicator hole that doesn't ground out as it screwed up the headlights when I used either of the wires and let it ground out, the headlights actually slightly come on when the headlights are off and it drains the battery, you can see the headlights barely on at night, during the day one cannot see they are on.

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:25 am

Man thats crazy!

I believe you when you say there is no ground. I just think there's some sort of grounding issue. Maybe somewhere in the system?

Ill try and get my volt meter on it and see what the voltage is, then start my way back I guess. IDK, not into electrical shit haha. If you have any suggestions on where to look let me know!
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:43 pm

The ground for the headlights is at the relay, there is 2 of them at the relay, that is why you cannot use the headlight circuit for anything like stereo or gauge lights as everyone I know will ground the other wire on the light to ground which adds a ground to the headlight circuit that is not supposed to be there and it screws stuff up, it is a weird circuit but it works.
I use the side marker light power for gauge lights as they do have a ground, but they are not adjustable, Jacob suggested that circuit.
If any of the headlight plugs are on wrong that might mess things up, make sure they are all plugged in the same, it has square headlights so your not dealing with that issue, also check any aftermarket gauges or radios you have, if they have lights unplug them to see if things get better.
The 720 headlight circuit is stand alone, I have traced every wire in the past and none of the wires mix with any other circuit in the harness, even the headlight bright marker in the dash is isolated, another strange thing is the brights indicator wires change color at the main dash wiring harness plugs near the hood release lever, the red/black wire changes to red/blue(white plug) and the red/green wire changes to red(blue plug).

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:29 pm

This guy knows^^^.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:39 am

Lol good hell wayno

Thank you for that!

Haven't made much progress on the red truck. Managed to pack the bearings on the 77 hatch. Bleed out the brakes, and drive it for a few blocks
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )