Mad MAx Dual Sport Apocalypse Survival Scramblers

510freak
Global Moderator
Title: DJ Jazzy Lou
Cars: Boo no 510 lol

Re: Mad MAx Dual Sport Apocalypse Survival Scramblers

Post by 510freak » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:26 am

Did you ride the GL650?
Taterhead » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:35 am wrote:[quote="Taterhead » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:41 pm

Sorry, I was channeling my inner flatcat.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:06 am

Nope.
Ran up the Washougal river highway until I ran out of asphalt, turned around, and eventually ended up on the Old Columbia River Highway. Had no real set route. Just rode.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:11 pm

Box-o-parts on my doorstep when I got home. Trying to coordinate another work day with Marc.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:43 am

Marc sent me a pic of the paint on the C-monster's tank.
My current pile...
Plan to spend the day cleaning and rearranging the shop so I have more room to work. Probably start breaking mine down next weekend.

izzo
Site Admin
Title: Save a pimp, Rent a bitch.
Cars: Too many

Post by izzo » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:58 pm

OOOoh!! Damn, now it's getting even more exciting. Am really digging this thing man, can't wait to see it come together.
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
jayden71: titty ponk
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:23 am

Started breaking down Zero. Also picked up a set of newish Sportster mufflers. Not sure if I'll use them but couldn't pass up the $15 deal.
Took my tires in to a local bike shop to have them swapped out and they refused to do it. Liability, blah, blah, blah. Was trying to tell me that you couldn't use a tube in a rim meant for tubeless tires. Also said they would have dangerous traction issues on the street and I'd end up in the ditch. Really? The manufacturer developed them as a 50/50 dual sport tire. One of the most popular tires out there with the brat/scrambler guys. Whatever. Ended up buying another set -- same manufacturer but considered a 70/30 tire. When it's all said and done there's about a $30 difference. No biggie, I guess.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:52 pm

About an hour after the above post the guy from the bike shop called me and told me he couldn't get the tires he wanted to sell me because they don't exist. Then went on to remind me that not only would he not mount up my original tires but that I also shouldn't even ask anyone else to either. Really? Fine then.
Got some tire irons and mounted them myself tonight. I guess that's $60 I get to keep in my pocket.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:20 pm

I hate it when shit like that happens, and it's getting worse all the time, big franchises are the worst.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:24 pm

This was just a little mom and pop shop that's been there for decades. Just changed owners recently though. I won't be back.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:30 pm

DRIVEN » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:24 pm wrote:This was just a little mom and pop shop that's been there for decades. Just changed owners recently though. I won't be back.

I said they are the worst, but they don't have the market cornered by any means.
I bought my own equipment in the last year, I change and balance my own tires now.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Was that motorsport hillsboro? Do they even do tires? I know they used to be awesome...

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:09 am

North Powersports. Used to be D&S. Was always my uncle's favorite shop and I've been going in there periodically for over 30 years. I'm not a huge fan of Motorsport Hillsboro either really but to be fair I've only been there a couple times on busy Saturdays.

yello620

Post by yello620 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:35 am

DRIVEN » October 6th, 2015, 5:09 am wrote:North Powersports. Used to be D&S. Was always my uncle's favorite shop and I've been going in there periodically for over 30 years. I'm not a huge fan of Motorsport Hillsboro either really but to be fair I've only been there a couple times on busy Saturdays.
I've heard great things about Eric at D&S, but I know nothing about who is working in there now with the new owners.

I know what you mean though about shops not wanting to do certain work. Some new car dealerships are even turning their own brand away if it over ten years old, that doesn't even make sense to me.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:23 am

Peeled off the rest of the rear bodywork and reinstalled the wheels/tires. Threw a blanket on the frame and blasted up and down my street a few times. New knobbys are waaay grippier! Made a couple loops down behind my house through the dirt just for good measure and it grabs like a dirt bike...almost. I think I'm gonna like it. And the new mufflers sound throatier along with being a bit louder.
Plan for tomorrow is to do my fork seals and maybe start surgery on the rear suspension and frame. Possibly even put the new bars on. We'll see how the day pans out.
Marc should be over here around noon but only has about half the parts he needs so we'll just do what we can on his.

Stay tuned.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:04 pm

It looks way better without all that fairing.

Also, this:

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:10 pm

^^Not a budget build^^ Do covet!

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:18 pm

We did about 6 hours today -- mostly working. Always seems like there's as much BSing as a actual work done. I got my forks rebuilt/resealed, boots installed, and the stock gauges removed. Also tried the chrome fender from the CX650 donor bike just to see if I like it. Changed out the bars along with the new grips and mirrors as well. Took a couple more bomb runs up and down the driveway and around the back yard.
My Silverwing pile is getting pretty big. I may actually list this stuff sooner rather than later.

Marc got the old mono shock mounts cleaned up and ready for re-engineering to accommodate his new Ninja unit. We also mounted his new front tire. Most of his new parts aren't scheduled for delivery until tomorrow so we couldn't make any real progress.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:14 am

Another 8hrs yesterday on Marc's C-monster. Mounted the other new tire and balanced both. He installed the new drag bars and all the controls. They hit the tank at full travel so we're debating on whether to modify the stops or dimple the tank. Mocked up the cheap Chinese headlight. Got the upper and lower shock mounts done and the replacement Ninja shock installed -- still pretty soft though so he's on the hunt for a stiffer replacement spring or else a complete replacement. Welded in the rear frame loops too. Last thing we did was mock up the Mac's exhaust system.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:25 am

Tore down the rear suspension on Zero and modified the shock mounts. The GL500/GL650 was one of the pioneers of Honda's ProLink so it's got an overcomplicated linkage system. I forgot to take any before and after pics of the actual part but the results speak for themselves. Still has full articulation with the benefit of about 4" extra height.
Then I bobbed the rear of the frame.
It's coming along. I'll be setting up the rear of the frame to accept a removable rack for adventuring before it's over. Planning on another work day with Marc Tomorrow.

izzo
Site Admin
Title: Save a pimp, Rent a bitch.
Cars: Too many

Post by izzo » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:09 pm

dude that thing is coming along nicely. and is pretty sick I might add! Wish I had the vision to do stuff like this. Looks super fun.
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
jayden71: titty ponk
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards