Around Waynos house

DRIVEN

Re: Around Waynos house

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 am

I like it. Especially the high flow tuned header.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:15 am

Yea I was looking at that, it's not very quiet with that setup, not sure what the stock one looks like, not sure I could even get one, this is a classic.
I think the muffler is supposed to be just above the fuel filter I installed, but that huge battery is there, and so is my fuel filter now.
Right now the focus is going to be on getting the drive lever tight again so neutral is neutral again every time, it has this hydro drive and I already have pushed some stuff over from not being able to stop it even with the brakes on as hard as I could push them, that lever is kinda tricky.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:19 am

Sounds like you're going to put it to work.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:28 pm

I bought a cheapo trailer with it also, the whole idea was to have something that could drag around complete vehicles and haul heavy stuff like engines/transmissions without having to use a hand truck and my poor old body, I was going to buy a Yard Machine riding lawn mower, but most of them are belt driven and smaller, when I got there I was not sure as it was so big, but it came with the tiller and mower assemblies, and there was a trailer for $50.00 also, so I bought it and then started regretting the purchase after running over some stuff because I could not stop it(I turned it off and it finally quit moving), then it started running crappy(I fixed that by messing with that screw I mentioned), I would have preferred it not have been a classic, but it is mine now and I will work with it/on it, I bought without doing proper homework.

“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

Taterhead
Cars: '71 510 - Mine
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:52 pm

I've purchased many things like that. In the end most of it worked out fine. "They don't make'em like they used to" is a saying for a reason.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:50 pm

I spent some time under the tractor this evening, all the levers that controlled the forward and reverse movement were loose, and I mean sloppy loose, so loose that even though I would have to go past neutral to get it to stop going either direction, I had to work on 4 different things, 3 were under the tractor and and the shift lever itself which a washer has fixed, it was a pain to get the washer in there, but I did it, it was the last thing I fixed.
The first thing I fixed was a ball and cup type connection, it was bolted to a plate and that nut holding it on the plate was really loose, fix was easy,
Second was a flux capacitor type plate(Y), there is a Y shaped channel that this post with a bearing on it rides in, the top of the Y is forward or reverse depending on what side of the Y it is in, the bearing was a bit small, I sleeved the outside of it, this Y moves forward and backward, when the post is in the bottom of the Y it cannot move sideways so there is no forward/reverse, when in park the post is in the bottom of the Y.
The last thing underneath I fixed was the rod that controls forward and reverse(which side of the Y that the post is in), the adjustable part was also loose from years of being slammed between the to adjustable lock nuts, but this is also the adjustment that controls where the shift lever neutral is, and neutral has a spot, pushing out and forward is forward, pull in and back is reverse, I spent a lot of time getting it adjusted right, it appears to be good, but the only way to tell is to drive it for a while and see if it stays adjusted or if I will have to fine tune it, or maybe something else is loose that I have yet to find.
This all would have been much easier if I had taken the time to remove the cover that covers all these parts, but that would also have made me remove the seat and then I would not have been able to test it without the seat as I wanted to be in it if things went south like Wile e Coyote on one of his acme rockets. :lol:
The lever appears to be tight now when before it likely had 3/4 inches of slop, next I need to put a new amp gauge in it, or maybe a volt meter instead, as the amp gauge in it is not working, it shows a 7 amp discharge all the time, running or not.
It came with a 44"/45" driveline for the tiller that this guy I bought it from attempted to repair, when he engaged the PTO to make it turn(the rototiller part), the end he repaired went up and down almost a half inch, so I am going to attempt to repair his repair as I could not find one(it's a classic), I may go to the Stihl dealer and see what they have to say, maybe these drive lines were used on other tractors also and are readily available, fact is his fix is kinda scary looking, but it really don't turn that fast, maybe a few hundred RPMs.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:12 am

There has to be more than just a square end with no joint, right? What do both ends look like? Standard 6 spline?

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:27 am

DRIVEN wrote:There has to be more than just a square end with no joint, right? What do both ends look like? Standard 6 spline?
That is a home made end, but that is how it basically connects under the tractor, it's this slip joint connection that connects directly to the mower assembly, but since the tiller is on the back it needs a driveline.
Here is the mower connection, it's a lot nicer made piece that likely is original equipment.

And here is the connection under the tractor that the square end of the driveline slips onto.

The driveline repair is not even a good try, but in the end I will likely never use the tiller part anyway, but I will try to repair it for the challenge, if I can get it to spin without a lot of wobble I will then likely make a cone around the end to brace the square piece sticking out(weld it on) and call it good, like I said, this driveline don't spin fast enough to cause issues with balance, but the mower mount assembly rests on the driveline, and when it wobbles like it does right now it makes a racket(lot of noise).

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Well I waited for a while trying to give the 1986 720 cab away and it didn't happen, so today I cut it up.

Now one would think I could get rid of this pile, but I will likely have to go to Oregon somewhere to accomplish that, as over here in Vancouver Washington I need a title to even get rid of a fender now, I may also have to take each of these pieces and sledge hammer them flat so they don't even have the shape of any part of a vehicle.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Put it in CL as free scrap and leave it at the curb. Way less hassle.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:44 pm

I had the truck cab on craigslist for free and didn't get any type of response.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:17 pm

But now it's portable scrap metal.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:59 pm

So today I made a tow-able engine test stand, it is far from done, like the ones for my diesel engines it will have a radiator eventually, but for now the engine is mobile and that is what I was shooting for, this is the reason I bought that tractor.

I never really noticed this before, the L block passenger side motor mount is slightly farther back than the driver side motor mount, since I was using one main beam across where the wheels are, that is where I put the motor mounts also and that had the transmission tail shaft off center towards the passenger side once the engine was mounted, you can see it in the photo, but this made the transmission mount easier to make and install, I used no actual rubber motor mounts, it is metal to metal there, but the transmission mount is the stock rubber mount.
I also built this stand the shape of a "T", all the other stands I have built in the past were built more like a triangle with a rear wheel that turns to control direction, I believe this one is the strongest one I have ever made.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:15 pm

OK, while making the 86 720 into a pile Friday I mainly used an ax to cut it up where I could, when it wasn't working out I used my Dewalt grinder with a cutting disc, I used maybe 4 cutting discs total so not bad, the grinder started to act up, even though it didn't seem hot to me it was acting like it was hot as it would start working again after a few minutes, well yesterday when I was making the engine stand/dolly the grinder would not work unless I whacked it on the ground and then it would not keep running.
So I thought I had another one that the gears got screwed up when I was doing the frame notch on the 520 over the rear axle but I could not find it, so I bought another one today for $89.00 at Home Depot, when I was out in the garage I seen a Dewalt box/case, I pulled it out and opened it up and there was the one with a screwed up set of gears but it ran, so I took the head off that one and put the other head on it with the good gears and now I have a good running grinder again, but I needed to buy the other one just in case anyway, I can now switch off when one gets hot.
A couple days ago my carb on the tractor started leaking fuel when I shut it down, I thought a cap/short bolt came out so I got down on my hands and knees and started looking for the missing piece which I never found, I started the tractor up and looked to see if it was leaking while it was running and it wasn't, so I shut it down and it didn't leak anymore at all, I have no idea what is going on, but the reason I mentioned all this is while I was on my hands and knees I found the removable Phillips double ended bit I lost out of one of my good screwdrivers likely 5 years ago, I now have a complete screwdriver again.

I didn't do a lot today except sort and clean the back patio where I have been working on everything the last few weeks, I had not sorted threw my metal scraps next to the back garage door in years, now it is clear to walk again without stepping on metal. :lol:

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:06 pm

I have that same screwdriver...somewhere.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:39 pm

I have 4/5 of them like reading glasses, they are in every toolbox/bag I have.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:04 am

Well I screwed up yesterday, I was pressure washing a tile roof on a small office building that had a lot of broken tile corners, it looks bad if I let them fly off the roof, so when they move I go get them if they don't fly completely off the roof and put them back where they belong, well I have an active pressure washer wand in use in my hands as the trigger is being held in the on position with a tethered heavy bolt, it was raining outside and I had bibs and a heavy trench type coat on, instead of pointing the wand to the side from some reason I just bent over to pick up the corner piece and I felt losing control of the wand and it passed right over my tennis shoe covered foot and just before it happened I knew it was going to happen, if I had worn a heavier duty shoe I likely would have been alright, but the pressure washer head I use to clean tile roofs is nasty, it likely would bore a hole thru a 2X4 if held in one spot quickly, it takes the bark off tree limbs fast.
Well the water found its way thru my shoe in a couple small spots and punched a couple holes in my foot, in the 24 years I have been pressure washing I have only pulled my shoe off once before to look at my foot, I could see blood on the top of my shoe which I thought was strange being the water was going into my shoe, I had a couple small holes in my skin but my whole foot hurt, well I put my sock/shoe back on and finished the job which involved scooping up heavy shovel fulls of moss and basically walking around the building from the back and putting it in the back of my truck 50/60 times, wet moss weighs a lot.
My foot actually didn't hurt too much after a while, I still had a few hours of work to do so I finished the roof, cleaned everything up the best I could which was a lot of cleaning as this roof had a lot of moss on it, when I got home I removed my shoe/sock and took a look, it had already swollen and it was still bleeding, I took a shower put a band-aid on it and made my dinner/played on the computer, every time I would walk around I would start bleeding again, keep in mind that it really doesn't hurt that much except when I walk and it still don't hurt that much, I slept fine once I figured out to have my foot out from under the covers in cooler air.
It has swollen now and I suspect it is going to be black and blue across my foot just behind my toe joints, right now I am walking on my heel only as I don't want it to start bleeding again, it sort of made a path across my foot from just in back of my big toe joint across my foot to my little toe.
It don't look all that terrible but it keeps seeping liquid(not blood) as I pulled the band-aid off after I got up out of bed to take a look.
I likely would have went to the doctor except it was late Saturday afternoon and now it is Sunday, it doesn't really hurt and I do have blood flow to my toes even though it is swollen, so right now I believe it will heal on its own, the only concern I have is if shoe material got blown into my foot as it likely could cause an infection.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:16 am

I can appreciate how much that might hurt having done something similar but on a smaller scale. It bled alot.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:04 am

I can walk close to normal, but it starts bleeding, if I stay off of the front of my foot(walk on just heal) I do fine except I walk like crap/move slow that way.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:55 pm

I seen 2 nurses and a doctor today, first nurse(LN), "you need to see a doctor" and she took me all the way across the building herself, second nurse(RN) looked and got me an appointment to see the doctor today, the doctor looked at it and got all excited, took a few photos, asked me what I thought he should do, then prescribed me some antibiotics and I have another follow up appointment next Tuesday with a nurse(RN).
I actually got up this morning and considered not going in, my foot was a lot less swollen although when I walk normally it still bleeds a little, I now have a few socks with blood spots, it doesn't hurt to walk normally, it just feels tight because of the swelling that is still there.
Sunday my foot was round, I have never seen anything like it before on my body, I was beginning to think it was going to start up my leg, but this morning it was half as swollen, and it actually is better now than this morning even though I have been on my feet most the day.