FI Conversion from Carb - 77 620

Forum rules
All advice given here is advice from persons using these forums,these opinions are not of the websites owners,and must be used at own discretion.
nwdatsuns does not verify the accuracy of given advice

This section is for informational How to's
Including, how to on datsuns, general technical, fabrication, electrical etc. Not limited to those, but for real information.
The how to make eggs and sammiches should go under General Discussion, as those topics aren't indexed for searches.
METSystem

FI Conversion from Carb - 77 620

Post by METSystem » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:54 pm

Summer is going to be here quickly! Last year I got myself injured and spent the summer in casts, surgical boots and crutches for almost the whole year, so the Datsun never got worked on. . . Watching "Fast n Loud" recently I saw they had a bolt on aftermarket fuel injection kit they put on a 69 or 70 Buick Riviera and the thought hit me. . . 'The carb on the Datsun is shot, and a new Weber is spendy, and a used Weber is chancy, if I'm going to spend the multiple bills on a Weber, plus the tune in time. . . What in the heck would it take to do a fuel injection change over on the 77 L20B in my 620?'

Back in the day, I remember that the Japanese container load engines that were being brought over from Japan had FI over there way way back. But, the brain boxes were never accompanied with the motors and harnesses had been cut as well. So, there are FI L20B's in the world, so it's not impossible.

So, what are the thoughts on the pending research and process to make this a go?
There comes a time when reliving your youth, requires the acquisition of a Datsun, like the one you drove in high school and the other one when you were just done with college. The issue then becomes. . . Fitting again, behind the wheel!

devilsbullet
Cars: 75 and 76 280z, 68 510 goon, two 77 710 goons, 77 b210 hatch.

Re: FI Conversion from Carb - 77 620

Post by devilsbullet » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:19 pm

The guys from roadkill did this to a 69? Buick skylark goon. Actually seemed fairly straight forward, though considering who was doing it it's probably not as much as it looked. I'd say no harm looking into it, could call a manufacturer(can't remember who made theirs) and ask them.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:39 pm

Is cost a concern?

Simplicity?
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:06 pm

Them Fuel Injection manifolds are rare, there are a few around though, but the ones for sale are $500.00 or more depending on how complete.
Some guys make one out of a 6 cylinder Zcar manifold cut down to 4 cylinders, that would likely be the easiest way if your looking to save some money.
Most use a stand alone mini harness/ECU to run everything either bought or made from a 4 cylinder like the EFI 200SX.
It's a lot of work, a new Weber will cost you less money, save you time, and create fewer headaches.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:18 pm

If you are interested in the simplest way, go throttlebody injection. Make an adapter for the throttle body to your manifold. Source all of this from a similar displacement motor.

Its not performance, but its simple (if you find a setup with less vacuum lines).

This is basically what you saw on TV, a glorified TBI setup. What we think of now because it is way more common place, and more efficient, is multi port injection.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:59 pm

^^^This^^^

I'd source parts from an early ('82-'86?) Cavalier or like platform with a 2.0L. Since you can run a matchbox distributor with a GM HEI module, I would think that one would work as a trigger. Aside from the throttle body assembly, you would need the MAP sensor, O2 sensor and coolant temp sensor.
The harness is pretty basic and the ECM is about the size of a Nissan unit. Another possible option would be a Holley Pro-Jection controller since all the other components are GM based.

As Wayno said, a new Weber would be cheaper and easier.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

devilsbullet
Cars: 75 and 76 280z, 68 510 goon, two 77 710 goons, 77 b210 hatch.

Post by devilsbullet » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:05 pm

they start putting it in at the 19 minute mark. Considering they're putting it in in a parking lot with 25 ish degree Temps, can't be too difficult so long as they have a kit to fit an l20. Company is atomic I believe

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:11 pm

MSD makes the Atomic systems. Haven't seen one for a small engine before.

METSystem

Post by METSystem » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:07 pm

DRIVEN » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:11 pm wrote:MSD makes the Atomic systems. Haven't seen one for a small engine before.
Well, when the time arrives, I'll probably find out, sit back and laugh at the folly of it all! But. . . it'd be cool as hell to have it installed and working well! ;)
There comes a time when reliving your youth, requires the acquisition of a Datsun, like the one you drove in high school and the other one when you were just done with college. The issue then becomes. . . Fitting again, behind the wheel!

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:31 pm

I wish someone would. I'd like to see how it works out. EFI is a nice addition to any carbureted Datsun.