Waynos work truck.

wayno

Re: Waynos work truck.

Postby wayno » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:34 pm

So I started this last night and finished the passenger side box today, I actually made it larger also.
It doesn't have locks anymore, but I can access this box without lifting the bed, it has 2 wing nuts with keepers to keep them from loosening up.

I also made arms I can install to make the access door a tray.

It has around 14 inches from the front to the back and it is just shy of 30 inches wide inside, I was considering putting the battery for the truck back here in this box with the jack, as this box is accessible without lifting the bed, my gas filler is also in this box, if it doesn't work good I will do something else.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein
wayno

Postby wayno » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Well I think for the most part I now have the final version of the box on the passenger side under the bed, I decided that I could not pour gas out of my gas can into my tank with the filler inside the box, so I made the box door a little smaller and put the gas filler on the back outside of the box, I am hoping this works properly.
I don't have the second wing nut on the back side of the door this time, the door sits tight against the side, if it bugs me later which I doubt, I will add a steel brace on that line so I can weld the bolt in, the door and door backing is aluminum.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein
wayno

Postby wayno » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:29 pm

I forgot, I took these photos recently.

DRIVEN

Postby DRIVEN » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:07 pm

Turned out sweet! Been using it for work yet?
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.
wayno

Postby wayno » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:02 pm

I used the dump bed once so far and the stuff slid right out, it was great, but now I don't get to talk to the guy in the yard as much. :lol:
The cylinder on the passenger side is leaking, I drove around last Friday getting quotes for a replacement and the 2 I talked too said it would have to be rebuilt at around $600.00 at the most, both were that high, one said it was another $300.00 for him to R&R it and he wasn't all that happy as he kept pointing at things he didn't like, but that guy also said it might be as low as a couple hundred if it only needed seals, the first guy said $500/$600 to rebuild it but suggested I go to the other place, it will likely be $600.00 if I remove it as if I don't and let them remove it they will call me saying it needs a bunch of other stuff.
I was just hoping to buy a new cylinder, maybe a set and just replace them myself, but I really don't know where to look, I don't really know what I have so I cannot just type in what I want, and I have never dealt with this kinda stuff before so I don't know where to go either, there were 3 other names on my list after searching "hydraulic cylinders" locally, I suppose I could go to them next week and ask what they have.
Right now it is full of shit so I cannot lift it very high, maybe high enough to add hydraulic fluid, but that is about it.
DRIVEN

Postby DRIVEN » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:23 pm

I bet Grainger would have new cylinders.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.
wayno

Postby wayno » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:02 pm

DRIVEN wrote:I bet Grainger would have new cylinders.

So how would you go about that, I can drive there as it is at Swan Island, the problem is my cylinders have no tags at all, there no information about them anywhere on the cylinders, I have measured them but do not know the real stroke, I just know the cylinder size(length/across) and I know the shaft size(across), I can figure out the length compressed but fully extended I don't think I will really ever know now.
When it had no bed on it and it was only held on with 4 bolts it extended really high, but now that it has a bed and is bolted down with all the mount bolts it only went so high before it started to slow down and stop, it didn't go high enough to use the brace to hold it up without any pressure in the cylinders, but it appeared to go high enough to dump the loads(which it does fine), so I relocated the brace seat that you can see good in the second photo.
It appear to be barely making that seat now, so maybe I am getting low on hydraulic fluid, I need to buy some of that now also, is all hydraulic fluid the same?, I actually doubt that but thought I would ask.
DRIVEN

Postby DRIVEN » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:16 pm

I'm certainly not a hydraulic expert but used Grainger for a lot of pneumatic cylinders when I was working in the door shops. You'll need to know diameter, length, and stroke. They will probably have replaceable/interchangeable ends to choose from to meet your needs. Now is the time if you want to alter how it works. Larger diameter will lift slower but heavier loads.
Just standard hydraulic oil should be fine.

Return to “520/521”